About this Webinar 

Scientists are increasingly using social media as vehicles through which to communicate with other scientists and the public. Social media platforms also provide excellent opportunities to build professional networks, learn about opportunities, and develop a sense of community around what can be at times a difficult and lonely vocation.

In this webinar, the first in a series about social media for scientists, Mary Williams, Jennifer Regala and Katie Rogers will provide a broad introduction and overview of the different types of social media, explain why they are valuable tools for scientists at all career stages, and provide a few examples of how they are being employed successfully (speaker bios can be found here).  This webinar will be particularly valuable for those who are curious about how to engage with social media and/or who are just getting started.

Subsequent topics in this series will look into how to use social media to promote your research, social media for science communication, and social media to develop community and professional networks. We will also look more closely at the pros and cons of the most popular social media tools.

Webinar Recording 

Additional Resources 

• Getting the Most out of Scientific Conference Tweeting 

Questions Asked During the Webinar

What would do you believe are the absolute most important social media platforms for plant scientists to use? There are a lot out there and it can take a lot of time to collect content - what should we prioritize as we are starting? 
How do you manage the character limit on Twitter? I find that I spend a lot of time editing what I want to post to fit in a single Tweet, especially since science info can take up a lot of characters (with long words, names, etc)
Have you heard of anyone using TikTok in an academic capacity? It was on the list of most popular social media platforms.
How to work in other languages? and for a non-scientific audience?
I am relatively new to twitter and I am very impressed by the involvement of the Plant Biology community. I would like to capture what I am seeing for others in my organization as well. An example would be to directly embed my twitter feed, or a new dedicated twitter feed, in a website. Any ideas of how I would do this? Can multiple people use one account? 

how about plant related memes? how much is too much?
Do you advise to make Facebook for social issues and twitter for scientific issues with our network?
How does the journal keep track of my profile? In a recent paper where I was a co-author another profile was tagged rather than mines.
What do you think about ResearchGate vs Twitter?
Somehow I have trouble to promote in social media my own lab and research. It looks to me too much pride. Such self-promotion could harm people as well?

Additional Tips and Insights 

I have one advice on choosing the handle: if you have accounts on different platforms (FB, Twitter, IG,...) try to use the same handle on all of them. This will make you easier to find.