2020 NEON-ESA Early Career Scholars (NECS) Program
Applications are due on January 30, 2020.
Application Deadline for the 2020 NEON-ESA Early Career Scholars (NECS) Program
When: January 30, 2020 - 11:45
Location: Salt Lake City
Presenting research findings and participating in scientific dialogue are important experiences in the career development of researchers. To support their growth as effective scientists and communicators, the NEON project and the Ecological Society of America (ESA) are pleased to announce a 2020 NEON-ESA Early Career Scholars (NECS) program to help cultivate and support a diverse group of early career scholars and practitioners.
The program is intended for early career scientists interested in going to ESA 2020 and using (or learning more about using) NEON for their research. Interested applicants need to apply by January 30, 2020.
Once the application deadline closes, a review committee, with representatives from the NEON project and ESA, will select and support a cohort of early career scientists to attend the 2020 Ecological Society of America (ESA) meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah. We encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Selected participants will receive $1500 to offset registration and travel expenses associated with attending the 2020 ESA meeting. The funds will be provided following participation in the conference including the following NEON activities. A cohort of early career scientists to attend the 2020 ESA conference in Salt Lake City, UT. While at the conference, Scholars will attend a variety of NEON-related workshops and or session led by NEON project staff (specific workshops/sessions to be announced once ESA selects from proposed events).
The Scholars will also participate in an event on Sunday evening at the ESA annual meeting, where NECS will network with each other, NEON program science staff, and other researchers using NEON data about their own research ideas and projects.
NEON-ESA Early Career Scholars Stipend: $1500/participant to offset registration and travel expenses associated with attending the 2020 Ecological Society of America meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah, to be provided following participation in the conference and NEON activities.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Applicants must be within 5 years of receiving their terminal degree or currently be enrolled full-time in a graduate program.
- All applicants must agree to attend the NEON-releated activities, mentioned above, held in conjunction with the ESA conference.
- Applicant must currently use or demonstrate an interest in using NEON data in their research or education program.
- Applicant must agree to submit a short science communication reflection piece (<500 words) about their NEON-ESA Early Career Scholars experience for use by NEON and ESA.
- Recipients of an NEON Early Career Scholar award in past years are not eligible.
Selection is competitive and based on:
- The attendance and participation at ESA being a unique opportunity for the Awardee.
- Alignment of educational and career goals with the NEON program.
- Contribution to NSF’s commitment to broadening participant in STEM fields.
- Application deadline: 11:59 PM local time on January 30, 2020
- Selection notifications will occur by February 13, 2020 ( ESA abstract submission closes 20 February 2020)