ECPS Council Update March 2021
General ASPB Updates:
• ASPB is continuing to transfer two of our journals, Plant Physiology and The Plant Cell to Oxford University Press (more details). After 23 years at ASPB Nancy Winchester has retired as our director of publications. We will miss her greatly, but we are excited to welcome a new Journal Managing Editor - Chris Lowe.
• The Plantae Community platform is moving away from Breezio. We are planning to launch new platform in April/May. If you would like to be a beta tester for the site contact email@example.com
• Plant Biology 2021 is officially online. For more information visit https://plantbiology.aspb.org/. In the coming weeks we will be looking for volunteers to write blog posts and moderate at the event. If you have experience and would like to be involved reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
• Many ASPB opportunities are currently open. Be sure to check out the https://aspb.org/awards-fundin...for more info. The ECPS is working with Katie help build out a resource to make it easier to find opportunities. If you would like to be on this “task-force” reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Women in Plant Biology Committee has been planning PB21 workshops, planning other virtual workshops, and selecting the 2021 Young Women Investigator's Award. Keep an eye out for our upcoming workshops on "What to do with an MS or BS in plant biology" and "Networking with Sharlene Weatherwax". Catch our new video interview series here, a collaboration with ECPS. For full details of our committee meetings and activities, go here
• Education Committee is:
- Accepting application for the ASPB Plant Biology Learning Objectives, Outreach Materials and Education (BLOOME) 2021 grants, go here.
• Membership Committee is:
- Getting new Chair, Laurie Smith, up to speed,
- Discussing changes to ASPB Newsletter, not much was decided
- Establishing a task force for analyzing the models within the Membership Dues Proposal
• Ambassador Alliance
- New Ambassador applications are due by the end of the month. We’re hoping to accept 8 new Ambassadors
- Going to propose changes to the Ambassador Alliance Chair and Vice Chair term limits to 2 years instead of one
• Primarily Undergraduate Institutions (PUI) Section:
- Upcoming virtual networking events
- Thursday, March 18th 5-6 EST
- Thursday April 22nd 4-5pm EST
- Can follow on Twitter @ASPB_PUI
- PB21 Workshops
- Faculty Development Workshop - Inclusivity in undergraduate research
- Panel Discussion - Getting a Job at a PUI
- If there are any particular topics that would be useful you can share with me in the chat or email (email@example.com) or if want to help with communications you can email Karen Hicks (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information
• ECPS EDI Subgroup is planning a Diversity Workshop and also developing a bio series for URM scientists. We also hope to develop a Zoom series where URM folks can talk about their research or another tangential subject matter that will relate to EDI and better the society as a whole.
• ECPS Issue in Focus Updates: We have started a partnership with the Botanical Society of America and Ecological Society of America to synergize our efforts related to the issue in focus. We have a survey that will hopefully be approved and shared soon to gauge the areas where ECRs have been most impacted by Covid et al. to inform our programing choices.