December Headlines and Deadlines: Taproot, Plant Science Meetings and Phenomics!
Monthly news roundup from across Plantae, for the plant science community.
Welcome to the new Headlines and Deadlines! Every month, we'll post a quick reminder of the news you need to know.
THIS MONTH'S HEADLINES...
- S3E1: Changing the Shape of Microbes and Mentoring with Beronda Montgomery
- S3E2: The World According to Dan: truth, Stats, and SNPs with Dan Kliebenstein
Next Plantae webinar:
- Giving and Receiving Feedback: Constructive follow-up - registration coming soon!
- Did you miss last month's webinar? Check them out here:
Top Picks for You to Check Out
- The Founding Members of the Ambassador Alliance (the governing committee of the Ambassador Program for ASPB) have been announced!
- Plant Science Research and Internship Opportunities - Looking for an undergraduate research internship for summer 2019? Browse 150+ undergraduate research opportunities for students.
- NEW REPORT: Reinventing Postgraduate Training in the Plant Sciences: T‐training Defined Through Modularity, Customization, and Distributed Mentorship
This report enumerates a set of far‐reaching recommendations for postgraduate training and calls for a profound cultural shift, one that embraces and extends educational delivery trends toward self‐learning and distance learning, considers trainee well‐being as an essential requirement for success, and acknowledges the importance of effective two‐way communication with the public.
... and DEADLINES!
- ASPB-related news you can use...
- Big news! ASPB is expanding committee participation to include early career scientists. APPLY NOW (and until January 15) to be considered for a seat on the Education, International, Minority Affairs, Program, Publications, and Women in Plant Biology Committees.
- Love ASPB? Apply here by January 15 to join the ASPB Ambassador Program.
- CALL FOR PAPERS - The Plant Cell 30th Anniversary Collection: Rethinking the Past and Shaping the Future of Plant Biology - submit by June 30
- Plant Science Meetings:
- Phenome 2019 - the full program schedule is up, check it out!
- Plant Biology 2019 (San Jose, CA, August 3-7, 2019) - registration will open in January; watch your email!
- Plant Synthetic Biology 2019 (San Jose, CA, August 7-9, 2019) - right after PB19; save the dates!
- COMING SOON - we're busy building a new Plant Science Events Calendar that will aggregate relevant conferences and events across the plant science community. Watch this space, especially if you have any meetings or events you'd like to promote!
- 2019 L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program - awards five women postdoctoral scientists annually with grants of $60,000 each for their contributions in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields and commitment to serving as role models for younger generations. Apply here before February 1!
Want the latest research summaries delivered to your inbox? Subscribe to the Plant Science Research Weekly (a.k.a. What We're Reading This Week).