March Headlines and Deadlines: New class of Plantae Fellows; First-timers at PB19; Call for Papers; and More.
Monthly news roundup from across Plantae, for the plant science community.
Welcome to Headlines and Deadlines! Every month, we'll post a quick reminder of the news you need to know.
THIS MONTH'S HEADLINES...
Top Picks for You
- NEWS JUST IN: Sally Assmann has been named new Editor in Chief of The Plant Cell. Join us in congratulating her!
- Welcome to our 2019 Plantae Fellows! You'll see them doing lots of cool stuff across Plantae. We recommend clicking on their profiles and following them!
- Have you seen the interview series of early career plant biology faculty? Check out Tom Bennett's interview! (Related - read this! Know thyself: the guide to shaping your career trajectory.)
- Farewell to our intrepid Community Manager Melanie Binder, who has moved on to (probably less green, but nevertheless exciting) new pastures!
- Tips for first-time attendees at Plant Biology 2019
- NEW! GLOBAL PLANT SCIENCE EVENTS CALENDAR - Promote your meetings or events, and browse the 65+ events already posted! Here's more on how it works.
- THE EVENTS CALENDAR IS ALSO A HIGH VISIBILITY SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITY for two more lucky sponsors. Interested? Contact email@example.com. And thank you Agrisera for being the first in line to support this great new resource!
- S3E4: Challenging Environments: Sunflowers, Drought, and Making Waves as an Early Career Scientist with Rishi Masalia
- S3E3: Answering Complex Questions with a Complex Community with Dr Needhi Bhalla
- S3E2: The World According to Dan: Truth, Stats, and SNPs with Dan Kliebenstein
- S3E1: Changing the Shape of Microbes and Mentoring with Beronda Montgomery
Next Plantae Webinars:
- How to Prepare Your Research Story for Publication Date: Thursday, March 28th at 3:00 PM ET - registration opens soon!
Did you miss our recent Plantae Webinars? Check them out here:
- Maximizing the signal, decreasing the noise; Writing skills for communicating clearly - presented by Tobias Baskin
- Giving and Receiving Feedback: Constructive follow-up - moderated by Li Tian
- Transforming Pixels to Millimeters: Geometric Camera Calibration - presented by Amy Tabb
- Prioritization and Work / Life Balance: Do Less, Work Better - moderated by Kelly Gillespie
... and DEADLINES!
- ASPB-related news you can use...
- Check out the Top 5 2018 articles for The Plant Cell and Plant Physiology!
- Plant Physiology - Call for Papers: https://aspb.org/ppfocus/
- The Plant Cell - more 30th anniversary cool stuff!!
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Applications are due March 15 - https://community.plantae.org/article/5183839551570839460
- RFP: ASPB’s 2019 Plant Biology Learning Objectives, Outreach Materials & Education (BLOOME) Grant, due April 9 - https://community.plantae.org/article/5183841659007272925
- Plant Science Meetings:
- 18th International Workshop on Plant Membrane Biology
- Upcoming Plant Science Symposia 2019
- Plant Biology 2019 (San Jose, CA, August 3-7, 2019): Registration is now OPEN! Early Bird ends May 1!
- Plant Synthetic Biology 2019 (San Jose, CA, August 7-9, 2019): Right after Plant Biology 2019. Registration and abstract submission now open!
- Other important stuff:
Are you connected to any companies looking to reach the plant science community? Tell them about ASPB's sponsorship opportunities! We are looking specifically for companies who want to collaborate on educational programs and new project ideas that can be hosted in Plantae. But we are also happy to engage with companies interested in other sponsorship, exhibiting, and/or advertising opportunities.
Help us spread the word!