April Headlines and Deadlines: Win a Growth Chamber; our new LGBTQ+ network; Early bird deadline for Plant Biology 2019; and more!
Monthly news roundup from across Plantae, for the plant science community.
Welcome to Headlines and Deadlines! Every month, we'll post a quick reminder of the news you need to know.
THIS MONTH'S HEADLINES...
Top Picks for You
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT - The Conviron Seeding Discovery Competition has launched! Apply to win a growth chamber for your lab between now and June 7.
Did you know: Fascination of Plants Day 2019 is coming up soon on May 18! Want to get involved?
IN THE WORKS - an LGBTQ+ network on Plantae!
Speaking of inclusion, the Plant Science Research Network explores innovative ways of effectively broadening participation in the plant sciences and beyond.
Got a need for an image or animation? Post your request in the brand new Visual Communicators Network!
WOO HOO! There are already almost 200 plant science events listed in the Global Plant Science Events Calendar - take a look and add please add your event if you're organizing or planning to attend an upcoming meeting. Here's more on how it works.
Interviews with Plant Synthetic Biologists
- Steven Burgess interviews Professor Jennifer Nemhauser, University of Washington.
- Steven Burgess interviews Michael Mendez, Renew Biopharma.
- Steven Burgess interviews Matthew Mattozzi, Conagen Inc.
- Jenna Gallegos interviews Tobias Erb, Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology in Marburg
- Jenna Gallegos interviews Guillaume Barbier, Joyne Bio
- Jenna Gallegos interviews Karsten Temme, Pivot Bio
- S3E6: Opening Channels of Communication Between Cells and Scientists with Dr. Yoselin Benitez-Alfonso
- S3E5: Simon Says: Captivate the public with snazzy videos of plant defense, send plants to space, and embrace curiosity-driven science with Simon Gilroy
- S3E4: Challenging Environments: Sunflowers, Drought, and Making Waves as an Early Career Scientist with Rishi Masalia
- S3E3: Answering Complex Questions with a Complex Community with Dr Needhi Bhalla
- S3E2: The World According to Dan: Truth, Stats, and SNPs with Dan Kliebenstein
- S3E1: Changing the Shape of Microbes and Mentoring with Beronda Montgomery
Next Plantae Webinars:
- How to Prepare Your Research Story for Publication - Thursday, May 2 at 5:00 PM ET - registration opens soon!
Did you miss our recent Plantae Webinars? Check them out here:
- Intentionally building and cultivating a diverse team - moderated by Eva Farré
- Maximizing the signal, decreasing the noise; Writing skills for communicating clearly - presented by Tobias Baskin
- Giving and Receiving Feedback: Constructive follow-up - moderated by Li Tian
... and DEADLINES!
- ASPB-related news you can use...
- In case you missed it above... there's a vote going on.
- Plant Science Meetings:
- 18th International Workshop on Plant Membrane Biology
- Upcoming Plant Science Symposia 2019
- Plant Biology 2019 (San Jose, CA, August 3-7, 2019): Early Bird registration ends May 1!
- Plant Synthetic Biology 2019 (San Jose, CA, August 7-9, 2019): Right after Plant Biology 2019. Early Bird registration ends May 1! And watch the website for info about travel awards, coming soon!
- Other important stuff:
- CALL FOR PAPERS - Plants Special Issue on Nitrogen Fixing Plants - deadline August 31.
- NSF’s IOS Division is launching monthly “virtual office hours” during which the community can learn about ongoing and new funding opportunities. Interested? The first session is scheduled for 1:00 pm EDT on Thursday, April 18.
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) has opened the application period for the AAAS IF/THEN Ambassadors program, which will bring together 100 women from a variety of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) careers to serve as high-profile role models for middle school girls. Learn more and apply!
- The PALM Network Grant offers up to $3,500 to support active learning mentoring and teaching. Learn more and apply by April 30.
Are you connected to any companies looking to reach the plant science community? Tell them about ASPB's sponsorship opportunities! We are looking specifically for companies who want to collaborate on educational programs and new project ideas that can be hosted in Plantae. But we are also happy to engage with companies interested in other sponsorship, exhibiting, and/or advertising opportunities.
Did you know that the American Society of Plant Biologists (ASPB) powers Plantae? And that is is part of ASPB’s vision that Plantae be available to the entire plant science community? However, that doesn’t mean the platform and the staff expertise required to support it are free. One of the ways ASPB supports its activities, including Plantae, is through ASPB membership dues. You can help support the Plantae community by joining ASPB today.