Type B graduate student at UC Davis studying how plant cells build cell walls from scratch during cytokinesis. I enjoy sharing science with others in the classroom, online and to people sitting next to me on airplanes.
Here's my elevator pitch.
Research Areas: Cell Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry, Evolution
Davis, D.J., Kang, B., Heringer, A., Wilkop, T.E., Drakakaki, G. (2016). Unconventional protein secretion in plants. Unconventional Protein Secretion-Methods and Protocols. Springer. 1459: 47-63.
Davis, D.J., McDowell, S.C., Park, E., Hicks, G., Wilkop, T.E., Drakakaki, G. (2014). The RAB GTPase RABA1e localizes to the cell plate and shows distinct subcellular behavior from RABA2a under Endosidin 7 treatment. Plant Signaling and Behavior. 10(3)
Davis, D., Wilkop, T. E., & Drakakaki, G. (2016). The Golgi apparatus. In Plant Cells and their Organelles (pp. 61–87). Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118924846.ch4
Park, E., Diaz-Moreno, S.M., Davis, D.J., Wilkop, T.E., Bulone, V., Drakakaki, G. (2014). Endosidin 7 specifically arrests late cytokinesis and inhibits callose biosynthesis revealing distinct trafficking events during cell plate maturation. Plant Physiology. 165(3): 1019-1034
As member of(UC Davis science communication group):
- Science Communication Fellow (Powerhouse Science Center, hosted by the Discovery Museum in Sacramento, CA), Fall 2015
- Member of Leadership team:
- Co-chair of Membership (2017-2018)
- Organizer of community bookclub (Stuffed and Starved by Raj Patel), Winter 2017
- Contributor to Biotech Feedback, a pilot initiative of early career scientists to annotate current science news articles for the public.
- Guest lecturer at San Marin High School on Plant Biotechnology, Winter 2016
- Co-organizer of seminar series on science communication
- Co-organized table-top demonstration (“Transgenic and glowing plants, Oh my!”) at Marguerite Montgomery Elementary School, Davis, California. May 8, 2015.
- Created informative poster about agriculture and biotechnology at UC Davis’s Picnic Day, April 18, 2015.
- Co-created informational flier on Chipotle’s GMO ban
- Organized information and tabled at Davis, CA Farmer’s Market focused on agriculture and biotechnology (2015)
Designated Emphasis in Biotechnology (DEB) outreach activities:
- Judge for Teen Biotech Challenge Competition (May 2014 and 2015)
- E-mentored three high school students (Sheldon High School and Vallejo High School, CA), Winter 2014 and 2015.
- Participated in Science Day at Cesar Chavez Elementary, Davis, California. May 7, 2013.
- Presented research and lead High School student tours of laboratory/UC Davis campus. (twice a quarter since Spring 2013--ongoing)
- Research project judge at FFA and 4-H student Agriscience Fair at UC Davis Field Day (Winter 2016)
- DNA extraction activity prep for Picnic Day activity (Spring 2017)
Lab outreach/volunteer activities:
- Hosted 4 Woodland High School students for a lab demonstration day at UC Davis, Spring 2015.
- Organized and administered demonstrations/lab lessons for use in high school classes in collaboration with instructors Eric Deyer and Jerry Delsol at Woodland High School (Woodland, California) Summer 2013.
- Co-organized and administered Plant Biology lectures/demonstrations at Pioneer High School (Woodland, California), Fall 2012
- Plant Biology Graduate Student Association/PBGSA (campus GSA representative 2013-2014)