As a Postdoc at PSC-Shanghai, China, I am deciphering the role of epigenetic (DNA and histone) modifications in abiotic stress tolerance in plants. Also, opting a chemical-genetic approach to impart stress tolerance in plants.
During my PhD at UA, Belgium, I investigated the impact of climate change factors (high CO2, heat and drought) on plants by using Arabidopsis thaliana as a model system. As a holistic approach, I elucidated plant stress responses at multiple organizational levels by profiling physiological, metabolic and (epi) genomic changes.
Research Areas: Abiotic Interactions, Physiology, Systems Biology, Molecular Biology, Genomics, Environmental Plant Biology, Ecophysiology
1) Gaurav Zinta*, Hamada AbdElgawad, Darin Peshev, James T. Weedon, Wim Van den Ende, Ivan Nijs, Ivan A. Janssens, Gerrit T.S. Beemster, Han Asard. Dynamics of metabolic responses to combined heat and drought spells in Arabidopsis thaliana under ambient and elevated CO2. Journal of Experimental Botany, 2018, 9; 69 (8): 2159-2170 (*corresponding author).
2) Li He#, Wenwu Wu#, Gaurav Zinta, Lan Yang, Dong Wang, Renyi Liu, Huiming Zhang, Zhimin Zheng, Huan Huang, Qingzhu Zhang, Jian-Kang Zhu. A naturally occurring epiallele associates with leaf senescence and local climate adaptation in Arabidopsis. Nature Communications 2018, 9, 460 (#co-first authors).
3) Ashish Kumar Srivastava, Yuming Lu, Gaurav Zinta, Zhaobo Lang, Jian-Kang Zhu. UTR-dependent gene expression control in plants. Trends in Plant Science, 2018, 23, 248-259.
4) Seham M. Hamed, Gaurav Zinta, Gerd Klöck, Han Asard, Hamada AbdElgawad. Zinc-induced differential oxidative stress and antioxidant responses in Chlorella sorokiniana and Scenedesmus acuminatus. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 2017, 140:256-263
5) Gaurav Zinta*, Asif Khan, Hamada AbdElgawad, Vipasha Verma, Ashish Srivastava. Unveiling the redox control of plant reproductive development during abiotic stress. Frontiers in Plant Science 2016, 7, 700 (*corresponding author).
6) Hamada AbdElgawad#, Gaurav Zinta#, Gerrit T.S. Beemster, Ivan A. Janssens, Han Asard. Future climate CO2 levels mitigate stress impact on plants: increased defense or decreased challenge? Frontiers in Plant Science 2016, 7, 556 (#co-first authors).
7) Hamada AbdElgawad#, Gaurav Zinta#, Momtaz M Hegab, Renu Pandey, Han Asard, W Abuelsoud. High salinity induces different oxidative stress and antioxidant responses in maize seedlings organs. Frontiers in Plant Science 2016, 7, 276 (#co-first authors).
8) Amit Kumar Sinha#, Hamada AbdElgawad#, Gaurav Zinta, Antony Franklin Dasan, Rindra Rasoloniriana, Han Asard, Ronny Blust, Gudrun De Boeck. Oxidative status and anti-oxidant coping strategies in European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) to high environmental ammonia and salinity stress are modulated by nutritional status. PLoS One 2015, 10 (8): e0135091 (#co-first authors).
9) Ismail Hamad# , Hamada AbdElgawad#, Soad Al Jaouni, Gaurav Zinta, Han Asard, Sherif Hassan, Momtaz Hegab, Nashwa Hagagy and Samy Selim. Metabolic analysis of various date palm fruit (Phoenix dactylifera L.) cultivars from Saudi Arabia to assess their nutritional quality. Molecules 2015, 20 (8), 13620-13641 (#co-first authors).
10) Amit Kumar Sinha, Gaurav Zinta, Hamada AbdElgawad, Han Asard, Ronny Blust, Gudrun De Boeck. High environmental ammonia elicits differential oxidative stress and antioxidant responses in five different organs of a model estuarine teleost (Dicentrarchus labrax). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology-Part C 2015, 174–175: 21–31.
11) Hamada AbdElgawad#, Dirk De Vos#, Gaurav Zinta, Malgorzata A. Domagalska, Gerrit T.S. Beemster, Han Asard. Grassland species differentially regulate proline levels under future climate conditions: an integrated biochemical and modelling approach. New Phytologist 2015, DOI: 10.1111/nph.13481 (#co-first authors).
12) R. Pandey, Gaurav Zinta, H. AbdElgawad, A. Ahmad, V. Jain, I.A. Janssens. Molecular and physiological alterations to elevated CO2 under phosphorus stress. Biotechnology Advances 2015, 33: 303-316.
13) Gaurav Zinta, Hamada AbdElgawad, Malgorzata A. Domagalska, Lucia Vergauwen, Dries Knapen, Ivan Nijs, Ivan A. Janssens, Gerrit T.S. Beemster, Han Asard. Physiological, biochemical and genome-wide transcriptional analysis reveals that elevated CO2 mitigates the impact of combined heat wave and drought stress in Arabidopsis thaliana at multiple organizational levels. Global Change Biology 2014, 20 (12): 3670-85.
14) Hamada AbdElgawad#, Darin Peshev#, Gaurav Zinta, Wim Van den Ende, Ivan A. Janssens, Han Asard. Climate extreme effects on the chemical composition of temperate grassland species under ambient and elevated CO2: A comparison of fructan and non-fructan accumulators. PLoS One 2014, 9 (3): e92044 (#co-first authors).
15) Amit Kumar Sinha#, Hamada AbdElgawad#, Terri Giblen, Gaurav Zinta, Michelle De Rop, Han Asard, Ronny Blust, Gudrun De Boeck. Anti-oxidative defenses are modulated differentially in three freshwater teleosts in response to ammonia-induced oxidative stress. PLoS One 2014, 9 (4): e95319 (#co-first authors).
16) R. Pandey, K. K. Dubey, R. Nilofar, R. Verma, V. Jain, A. Ahmad, Gaurav Zinta, V. Kumar. Elevated CO2 improves growth and phosphorus utilization efficiency in cereal species under sub-optimal phosphorus supply. Journal of Plant Nutrition 2014, 1196-1217.
17) WA El-Soud, MM Hegab, H AbdElgawad, Gaurav Zinta, H Asard. Ability of ellagic acid to alleviate osmotic stress on chickpea seedlings. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 2013, 71: 173-183.
18) M. M. Hegab, H. AbdElgawad, M. S. Abdelhameda, O. H. Ibrahima, Renu Pandey, V. Kumar, Gaurav Zinta. Tricin isolated from jungle rice (Echinochloa colona L.) alters amylase activity and induces oxidative stress on wild oat (Avena fatua L.). Allelopathy Journal 2013, 31 (2): 345-354.
19) Sharma A, Gaurav Zinta, S. Rana and P. Shirkot. Molecular identification of sex in Hippophae rhamnoides L. using isozyme and RAPD markers. Forestry Studies in China 2010, 12 (2): 62-66.
20) S. Huddone, S.V. Bhardwaj, R.S. Rattan, K. Kanwar, Gaurav Zinta, A. Handa. Inference on coat protein evolution of lily symptomless carlavirus in India and abroad based on motifs study and phylogenetic analysis. Journal of Proteomics Bioinformatics 2010, 3: 204-211.
21) P. Shirkot, M. Bhuria, Gaurav Zinta. Identification of gender in dioecious Hippophae salicifolia using isozymes as sex markers. Indian Journal of Forestry 2009, 32 (2): 231-237.
22) H. Patial, P. Shirkot, R. Bhalla, Gaurav Zinta. Assessment of genetic variability in Carnation (Dianthus Caryophyllus L.) using isozymes as molecular markers. Journal of Ornamental Horticulture 2007, 10 (2): 78-84.
Methods & Protocols:
1) Daisuke Miki#,Gaurav Zinta# and Jian-Kang Zhu. CRISPR/Cas9 tool box for genome editing in Arabidopsis thaliana, in the book entitled" Arabidopsis Protocols, Fourth Edition", edited by Jose J. Sanchez-Serrano and Julio Salinas (to be online in 2019) (#co-first authors).
1) Asif Khan# and Gaurav Zinta#. Drought stress and chromatin an epigenetic perspective, in the book entitled " Drought Stress Tolerance in Plants, Vol2 - Molecular and Genetic Perspectives", edited by Mohammad Anwar Hossain, Shabir Hussain Wani, Soumen Bhattachajee, David J Burritt, and Lam-Son Phan Tran (2016). (#co-first authors).
I am volunteering in various scientific activities which are enlisted below:
Reviewer of the Journals/Books:
Global Change Biology (IF 8.5); Land Degradation and Development (IF 8.1); Journal of Experimental Botany (IF 5.4); Scientific Reports-Nature (IF 5.2); Frontiers in Plant Science (IF 4.2); Frontiers in Chemistry (IF 3.9); International Journal of Biological Macromolecules (IF 3.9); International Journal of Molecular Sciences (IF 3.7); FEMS Microbiology Ecology (3.5); Phytochemistry (IF 3.2); PloS One (IF 2.8); Plant Physiology and Biochemistry (IF 2.8); Database (IF 2.6); Reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology (IF 2.4); Functional Plant Biology (IF 2.1); Plant Molecular Biology Reporter (IF 1.9); Acta Physiologiae Plantarum (IF 1.6); Euphytica (IF 1.6); Natural Product Research (IF 1.0); Computational Biology and Chemistry (IF 1.0); Current Science (IF 0.9); Journal of Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology (1.0).
Book Proposal Reviewer for Elsevier.
Editorial Role in the Journals:
Review Editor of Frontiers in Plant Science (IF 4.2) for “Plant Physiology Section”.
PhD Thesis External Examiner:
1) Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Science, Beni-Suef University, Egypt; which is entitled as “Novel synthesis and chemical reaction of the mercapto purines analogues with studying their different biological activity” May 2015.
2) Ph.D. thesis, Department of Agriculture and Food Systems Faculty of Veterinary & Agricultural Sciences, University of Melbourne, Australia; which is entitled as “Genetic variability of zinc utilization in rice (Oryza sativa L.) under elevated [CO2]” August 2018.
3) Ph.D. thesis, Centre for Crop Health, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Australia; which is entitled as “Mechanisms of the decline in grain protein concentration in wheat under elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration” November 2018.
4) Ph.D. thesis, Centre for Crop Health, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Australia; which is entitled as “Molecular mechanisms of growth responses to elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)” December 2018.