My interest in plant biotechnology research was strengthened after I attended a six weeks summer training program during my Masters (in Biotechnology) at CSIR-National Botanical Research Institute (NBRI, India). I had developed a plant transformation construct containing the cholera toxin gene that was supposed to be tested in edible fruits. Unfortunately, this work could not progress but this experience definitely instilled a researcher in me. After MSc, the obvious choice for me was CSIR-NBRI and I joined the same lab for my Ph.D. The major goal of the lab was to understand the ripening of fruits at the molecular level and then to explore the possibility to extend the shelf life of fruits by genetic manipulations. During my Ph.D., I identified and characterized several ripening related genes from banana fruit, and few of these genes were novel as these were never shown to be related with ripening in any of the fruit. After that, I had a short stint at CCMB (India) as a Postdoc where I extensively worked on protein purification and their biophysical characterization from bacterial source but my love for plant science could not suppress and I decided to pursue the work of my interest (plant science). I moved to CIMAP, India, where I worked on important medicinal plants and I isolated and characterized several CYP450s from Withania somnifera and acyltransferases from Artemisia annua. After completing my tenure, I got Blaustein Postdoc Fellowship and I moved to French Associates Institute for Agriculture and Biotechnology of Drylands (BIDR, BGU, Israel) to ' Elucidate ‘Novel role of aldehyde oxidases (AOs)’. We showed that AAO4 from Arabidopsis participate in aldehyde detoxification, a phenomenon not demonstrated for AOs in plants or animals so far. Other roles of AOs are being investigated in modulating senescence and the developmental stages.
Research Areas: Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Gene Regulation
- Sudhakar Srivastava, Galina Brychkova, Dmitry Yarmolinsky, Aigerim Soltabayeva, Talya Samani Moshe Sagi (2017) Arabidopsis aldehyde oxidase 4 plays a critical role in delaying silique senescence by catalyzing aldehyde detoxification. Plant Physiology
- Aigerim Soltabayeva, Sudhakar Srivastava, Assylay Kurmanbayeva, Aizat Bekturova, Robert Fluhr and Moshe Sagi (2018, Accepted). Early senescence in nitrate starved Atxdh1 old leaves uncovers a role for purine in N metabolism. Plant Physiology
- Assylay Kurmanbayeva, Aizat Bekturova1, Sudhakar Srivastava, Aigerim Soltabayeva, Mohammad Suhail Khan, Octavio Salazar, Nina Fedoroff, Armine Asatryan, Yvonne Ventura, Moshe Sagi (2017) Higher Novel L-Cys Degradation Activity Results in Lower Organic-S and Biomass in Sarcocornia than the Related Saltwort, Salicornia. Plant Physiology
- Raj Luxmi, Rashmi Garg, Sudhakar Srivastava, Aniruddha P. Sane (2017, Acceptable after minor revision) Expression of the SIN3 homologue from banana, MaSIN3, suppresses ABA responses globally during plant growth in Arabidopsis. Plant Science
- Sudhakar Srivastava, Rajender Singh Sangwan, Sandhya Tripathi, Bhawana Mishra, L K Narnoliya, LN Misra, Neelam S Sangwan (2015) Light and auxin responsive cytochrome P450s from Withania somnifera Dunal: cloning, expression and molecular modelling of two pairs of homologue genes with differential regulation Protoplasma. DOI 10.1007/s00709-015-0766-9
- Sudhakar Srivastava and Rajendra Singh Sangwan (2012) Analysis of Artemisia annua transcriptome for BAHD alcohol acyltransferase genes and their diversity of expression in leaf, stem and root. Journal of Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology September 11:1-11
- Sudhakar Srivastava, Sanjay Mohan Gupta, Aniruddha P. Sane and Pravendra Nath (2012) Isolation and characterization of ripening related Pectin Methylesterase Inhibitor gene from Banana fruit. Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants 18 (2): 191-195
- Sudhakar Srivastava and Sanjay Mohan Gupta (2008) Role of differentially expressed ripening related genes and promoters in banana fruit: Identified by mRNA DDRT-PCR. Res Environ Life Sci 1(3): 81-90
- Neelam S. Sangwan, Ritesh Kumar, Sudhakar Srivastava, Anil kumar, Anju Gupta and R.S.Sangwan (2010) Recent Development on Secondary metabolite biosynthesis in Artemisia annua L. J Plant Biol 37(2):1-24
- Sanjay Mohan Gupta, Sudhakar Srivastava, Supriya Gupta and Zakwan Ahmed (2008) Genetic manipulation of fruit ripening: using Antisense mRNA strategies. J Appl Biosci 34(2):115-123.
- Sanjay Mohan Gupta, Sudhakar Srivastava, Aniruddha P. Sane and Pravendra Nath (2006) Differential expression of genes during banana fruit development, ripening and 1-MCP treatment: Presence of distinct fruit specific, ethylene induced and ethylene repressed expression. Postharvest Biology and Technology 42(1): 16-22