Career Status: Graduate Student
Research Areas: Genetics, Computational Biology, Molecular Biology, Development, Genomics
- Plantae fellow. As a Plantae fellow I am involved in Plant Science Research Weekly and I write weekly summaries and design graphical abstracts on newly published plant science literature.
I was also part of designing infographics on hemp and ginkgo to celebrate Fascination of Plants Day 2020.
I am a Plant Biology 2020 Community Network Leader and I wrote a number of blog posts about this year's conference (machine learning, genome editing, presenting posters in a pandemic) as well as acting as a moderator for Plenary Symposium IV (Harnessing the Potential of Genome Editing for Tomorrow's Agriculture) and Concurrent Symposium 23 (Transforming the Pace of Plant Functional Genomics).
- Active committee member of the UCD Biological Society. Activities include representative of student members (2016/2017), Events and Communications officer (2017/2018), Vice President (2018/2019). Responsible for organising events such as the George Siegerson Award for Inspiring Aspiring Scientists (recipients: Sir David Attenborough, Nobel Laureates Sir Paul Nurse and Professor Ada Yonath, and Professor Beth Shapiro) and a Women in Biology event.
- Outreach on the behalf of UCD including giving presentations and participating on panels, and Q&A sessions for prospective students.
- Speaking to primary school (10-12-year olds) and high school students (15-17-year olds) about science and my research. With younger students I will conduct fun experiments to encourage and cultivate their interest in science (especially plants!). I also try to assist primary school teachers with inspiration and ideas for simple yet effective experiments to conduct with students.
- Campaign and participate in Mini Marathons and fundraisers for the Bone Marrow for Leukaemia Trust.