I am a plant ecologist and evolutionary biologist. As a PhD student at the University of Pittsburgh, I study alfalfa plants and their bacterial mutualists. Along with research, I love organizing science communication and outreach programs. I am a Community Network Leader for the Science Communication network on Plantae and a founder of Amplicomm, a science communication training program. One of my favorite ways to communicate science with broad audiences is through writing. You can find my work in Nature, Science, the ASPB newsletter, and other media outlets. Feel free to contact me with any science communication inquiries at NForrester11 [at] gmail [dot] com.
Research Areas: Botany, Ecology, Evolution, Biotic Interactions
- Effect of the anther-smut fungus Microbotryum on the pre-flowering growth of its host Silene latifolia. 2018. American Journal of Botany.
- The direct effects of plant polyploidy on the legume-rhizobia mutualism. 2017. Annals of Botany.
- Geographic patterns of genetic variation in three genomes of North American diploid strawberries with special reference to Fragaria vesca subsp. bracteata.2015. Botany.
- A recurring syndrome of accelerated plastid genome evolution in the angiosperm tribe Sileneae (Caryophyllaceae).2014. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution.
- Habitat structure helps guide the emergence of colony-level personality in social spiders.2014. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology.
- Nectar Microbes: Undercover Manipulators of Floral Scent and Pollinator Behavior (EvoBites, May 2018)
- Pathways Not Pipelines: Reflections on a Plant Science Research Network Workshop from an Early Career Scientist (ASPB Newsletter, Jan-Feb 2018)
- Out of the Lab and onto the Streets (NatureJobs, May 2017)
- The Next Generation of Science Outreach (NatureJobs, April 2017)
- Writer and Editor for EvoBites, a blog dedicated to sharing fascinating stories of evolutionary biology with diverse public audiences.
- Organized and lead an ecology and evolution workshop for public high school teachers in Pittsburgh.
- Founded an Invasive Species Awareness Program in collaboration with the American Alpine Club in Fayetteville, West Virginia.