• Oliver Scholz

Oliver Scholz has a diploma in Computer Science from the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany and is currently employed at the Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits' Development Center for X-Ray Technologies in Fuerth, Germany. As Head of the Systems Group in the Contactless Test Measuring Systems department and Deputy Head of the department his responsibilities include design and development of optical 3D phenotyping sensors and software systems. The Fraunhofer Institute IIS's research areas include development of custom phenotyping systems, components and software for system integrators and end users.
  • Haris Khurshid

I am a plant genetics professional working in an apex National Agricultural Research Centre of Pakistan being engaged in plant's genetic diversity studies at morphological, biochemical and molecular level. Currently, I am working on Evaluation of local and exotic germplasm of soybean (Glycine max L.) for selection of disease resistant high yielding genotypes. Besides, we are conducting Preleminary and Advanced yield trials of elite lines for varietal development.
  • Satish Khadia

I completed my Ph.D. at the S. D. Agricultural University in September 2017 as part of the "Heterosis, Combining ability and Stability Analysis in okra (Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench)." My research focused on identifying stable crosses in four varied environments through genotype x environment interaction. Through this I developed a keen interest in field-level crop physiology, and the development of hybrid for further breeding program. 
  • Shaunagh Slack

I completed my PhD at the University of Nottingham in September 2017 as part of the FUTUREROOTS project funded by the European Research Council. My research focused on identifying rooting traits for improved water uptake and water-use efficiency in winter wheat under drought. Through this I developed a keen interest in field-level crop physiology, and the development of high-throughput phenotyping. I also had the opportunity to use the state-of-the-art CT scanners at the Hounsfield Facility in the University of Nottingham in order to non-destructively observe the response of winter wheat roots to drought stress. I am currently an Associate Scientist In the Agro Discovery team at PepsiCo, working in collaboration with leading UK institutions, with the aim of producing an Oat Growth Guide for farmers, similar to the Wheat and Barley Growth Guides which are already available.
  • Mike Page

I am a plant molecular biologist whose main research interests include the role of photosynthesis as a sensor of environmental cues, as-well-as the use of synthetic biology to engineer improvements in photosynthetic efficiency to increase crop yields. I have a background in plant responses to abiotic stress, particularly those involving antioxidant defences.  I have worked on several research projects focused on characterising retrograde signalling mechanisms, both during chloroplast development (biogenic control) and in mature plants (operational control). I am currently working on a synthetic biology project which aims to increase the photosynthetic efficiency of rice, the world’s most important crop.  By engineering the cyanobacterial CO2 concentrating mechanism into rice chloroplasts, I hope to improve rice yields in a sustainable manner.  I believe synthetic biology will play a major role in shaping the future of crop production. [Also, here is a video clip from the BBC's 'How To Grow A Planet' documentary series from 2012, in which I visualised plant-to-plant communication (yes, that is me in the clip!)]
  • Dharmendra Mallick

Teaching Plant Sciences to the undergraduate students in the University of Delhi for more than 15 years. Having keen interests in teaching Genetics, Molecular Biology, Plant Physiology and Environmental Sciences.
  • Alyssa Preiser

I'm a plant biochemist that works on apply tools of biochemistry to solve questions in plant physiology, specifically in regulation of the Calvin-Benson cycle. I graduated from Michigan State University in 2014 with a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. I then joined the Sharkey Lab at Michigan State to pursue my PhD. Through my undergraduate and graduate students, I have become interested in how the public (students, general public, politicians, etc.) understand and interpret scientific research. I want to use my training in Biochemistry and Plant Biology in science communication to make research available and understood by telling the "big picture" of research in ways that are accurate and engaging.  When I'm not in the lab, I work on freelance graphic design. I do logo, poster, and infographic design. 
  • Marco Giovannetti

I did my University studies in Torino, Italy, where I discovered the intriguing world of arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis. That's why I obtained a PhD with Prof. Bonfante about plant nutrient transporters involved in arbuscular mycorrhizal nutrient exchange. This led me to investigate plant root development and root responses to nutrient. To follow up this topic, at the moment, my postdoc project in Wolfgang Busch group combines high through-put root phenotyping and Genome Wide Association Studies. Since 2016 I'm based in Vienna, at Gregor Mendel Institute.